The Canyon graphic and the following set of questions help you explore the current state of your organization; specifically identify the gaps, or canyons, that exist among leaders, managers, and individual contributors in aligning on a common view of “who we want to be” and then execute a strategy to get there.
Having alignment and consensus on the current state of the business helps organizations identify and prioritize the barriers that could impede future success, allowing leaders to consistently tackle those challenges and pave the way for strategy execution that yields results.
- What do you see overall?
- Look at the tornado. Which of these forces do you think are having the greatest impact?
- What do you think the leaders see?
- What do you think the managers see?
- What do you think the doers see?
- Do they see the same thing? Why or why not?
- What are the root causes of the canyons?
- Why do they persist?
- Look again at the tornado. Which specific forces would you add? How are these forces impacting the company?
- Consider all of the images in the canyon. Which ones most resonate for the organization or team? Why?
- What images would you add to the canyon that capture even more precisely the truth of this current reality?
- Of all the images on the canyon, which one or two are the most real or relevant to you personally?
- How have you contributed to these?
- As an organization or team, where are the most significant canyons?
- What can we do to build bridges over these canyons?
- If we were to redraw this picture after we’ve bridged the canyons, what should it look like?
Take a video tour of The Canyon and further see where the canyons exist in your business.